Kit Supplier & Danny Hutchins Kit Sponsor - Macron Store HertfordshireFirst Team Sponsor - Arena SecurityTraining Kit & George Bates Sponsor - Actaris Site Services
Tue 25
1st Team
Biggleswade Town FC


By John Graham
Share via

Baldock go close against a strong Biggleswade Town side

If the game against Biggleswade FC on Saturday was regarded as a good test then this one was going to be immense. I don’t think we have ever played this team - not that I can remember. The game looked like it was going to be plagued with high winds but it in the end it didn’t seem to be too bad as the Arena has some protection around it.
The opening minutes seemed fairly even with Piggott putting in a lot of work upfront. Decker had the first attempt at goal in 11 mins but his shot was high and wide. Biggleswade were working down their left but were constantly getting caught offside and so posed little threat early on. On 21 mins a neat through ball found Piggott who was brought down on the edge of the box. Harper took the kick and hit the target forcing the Keeper to tip it over. Hewitt headed over from the resulting corner. Biggleswade went straight up the other end and were clean through but the striker fluffed his shot, the breaking ball was shot back in and Harpur pulled off a good save low to his right.
On 25 mins Biggleswade managed to stay onside on the left and a good cross was partially cleared to about 25 yards and the resulting shot beat Harpur. It was a good goal but we had the chance to clear it. Baldock responded on 29 mins following a good build up where the ball was worked over to the right and a good cross from Duguid broke to Joy, who was in a similar position from where he got his goal on Saturday, but his shot was tipped over the bar this time. Baldock were caught sleeping a bit on 37 minutes and allowed Biggleswade clean through but the striker shot over. A couple of minutes later the a clearance from Biggleswade hit one of the wires going across the field, Baldock took advantage and a good ball from Duguid to Piggott on the penalty spot forced the keeper into a good save.
Baldock were 1-0 down at half time but they weren’t out of it.
The second half was very quiet for a long time and it took until 70 minutes before sub, L’Honore, managed to force his way through the middle but his shot was blocked. Baldock were putting in a lot of effort and definitely hadn’t given up but Biggleswade always threatened and in 76 mins Biggleswade had a free-kick on the edge of the box. Ponting, having replaced Harpur, got down well to pull off a decent stop. A couple of minutes later Ponting pulled off his best save when he got down to stop a weird spinning shot/deflection effort. L’Honore was having a good go against an experienced Biggleswade defence and they got themselves in a right mix up inside their six yard box and the resultant scramble went for a goal kick. L’Honore is a hard guy to get the ball off once he has it and he was starting to cause some upset in the Biggleswade defence. The monsoon started in 82 mins and a minute later Hay found himself in on the Keeper and coolly slotted the ball past him from just outside the box.
Baldock Town 1 - Biggleswade Town 1.
Unfortunately just a minute before the end Baldock got into a bit of a mess and gifted Biggleswade the winner - enough said about that.
It was obvious that this Biggleswade side were a class act but Baldock put in another good performance and could have had the draw. Maybe just lacking that killer ball from midfield, in my opinon, to get the strikers going, I have only seen the two matches and both were against good teams so that might be harsh. One more friendly to go but it is all about the FA Cup tie against St Margaretsbury next week. Get your tickets now - should be a good one.
Team; Harpur (GK), Duguid, Reynolds, Coppin, Furness, Harper, Gaffney, Hewitt, Piggott, Joy, Decker, Sinclair, Ponting (GK), L'Honore, Doolan, Hay, Burton, Rome, Franklin.
Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Tue 25, Aug 2020